Expression of Interest/Winter ReUse Centre
The Baddeck ReUse Centre has been a great success! Since opening in April 2018, twelve community groups have raised over $15,000 for their causes,while Victoria County has diverted tons of material that would have otherwise ended up in Nova Scotia landfills.
But our present location is not suitable for winter operation.
We require a heated warehouse-type space, with electricity, suitable for storage and commercial activity in the Baddeck and area.
Space must be available from December 2019 through to March 2020.
The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the North Shore & District Fire Hall, Indian Brook, on Monday, August 26, 2019, beginning at 11:00 a.m.
Call to Order/Approval of Agenda
Announcement - Mark Eyking, MP - Sydney-Victoria
Department of Municipal Affairs - Ross MacDonald, Municipal Advisor
Dog Complaint, Black Road Road - Sharon MacLeod
Approval of Minutes - July 29, 2019
Old Business/New Business
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Items/Concerns
Notice of Motions/District Concerns
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
CLEANER FOR MUNICIPAL BUILDING, BADDECK
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is seeking an Expression of Interest for a Cleaner for the Municipal Building, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck, for a 17.5 hour per week contract position for 6 months, possibly to be extended.
We are looking for a Cleaner to take care of our facilities and carry out cleaning and maintenance duties. The goal is to keep our building in a clean and orderly condition.
• Clean, stock and supply designated facility areas (dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning ceiling vents, windows, restroom cleaning, emptying trash and recyclables, etc.)
• Perform and document routine inspection and maintenance activities
• Required to shop for cleaning supplies
• Carry out heavy cleaning tasks and special projects
• Notify management of occurring deficiencies or need for repairs
• Stock and maintain supply rooms
• Cooperate with the rest of the staff
• Follow all health and safety regulations
• Proven work experience as a cleaner
• Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery (max 50 lb)
• Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
• High school degree
We are looking for a Machine Operator at our Baddeck Transfer Station. This is a full time, term position until (approximately) February 2020.
For more information, read here.
Victoria County is offering an exciting job opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual as Recreation and Active Living Coordinator.
We are looking for someone that is experienced, motivated, and prides themselves on delivering excellent customer service to the communities, residents and visitors throughout our area.
This role is primarily for liaising with sport and recreation clubs and community groups regarding the development of sport and recreation programs, as well as increasing participation in active recreation to offer the best opportunity to improve Victoria County's health and well-being.
To succeed in this role you must demonstrate:
Teamwork - cooperate with internal and external stakeholders to build and maintain positive working relationships;
Self-Management - plan and prioritize work to ensure outcomes are achieved in a timely manner;
Written Communication - prepare briefs, letters, emails, and reports using clear, concise and grammatically correct language;
Education and Experience - Undergraduate University Degree in Health Promotion, Community Studies, or Recreation, as well as a minimum of three (3) years' experience in a related field.
Applications will be received by the undersigned until August 30, 2019.
Leanne MacEachen, Chief Administrative Officer, PO Box 370, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck, NS B0E 1B0
• Eastlink representative Logan McDaid spoke to council about a proposed 300-foot tower in Hazeldale. The tower will increase the company’s cell phone capacity for customers in the Little Narrows, Washabuck and Hunters Mountain’s areas. The proposed tower meets federal regulations. Councillor Paul MacNeil requested that Eastlink come to District 1 and host a public meeting. When a date and time are set, we will post on the website.
• Councillors listed a number of issues with roads throughout the county and requested a letter be sent to TIR and MLA Keith Bain regarding painting of lines in Ingonish, grader availability in Dingwall, Capstick, New Haven and Iona areas, and bush and grass cutting that is required along roadsides, in addition to other concerns. Council is also requesting a meeting with TIR officials.
• Events happening around the county: August 4 – 20th anniversary of Buchanan Memorial Hospital in Neil’s Harbour. Open house from 1 – 4. Annual Highland Village Day in Iona on August 3 and the 10- day Along the Shores of Washabuck Festival from August 2 -11 and Festiville Baddeck will host their street party on August 5, in conjunction with the Bras d’Or Yacht Club’s annual Regatta Week.
• We will be live Tweeting our council sessions. Check us out on Twitter at Victoria County NS.
• The minutes from this council session will be on the website once approved by council. The next council session is Monday August 26, 2019 at 11 am at the Indian Brook Fire Hall in Indian Brook. Find previous council minutes here.
Are you a personal care worker with a good news story to tell?
Health Association Nova Scotia has developed a website platform – Share the care – to highlight the stories of those who go above and beyond to improve the health, independence, and happiness of the people entrusted to their care. The website features a variety of good news stories that reflect the heart of the people delivering care, the experiences of those receiving care, and the point of view of family members who benefit from the care their loved ones receive.
The goal is to instill a sense of pride and support for frontline workers, residents/clients and families with loved ones in care through “sharing the good.”
Visit the website at www.sharethecarens.ca/ and share your story!
Due to high demand on the system resulting in water production limitations, the Victoria County Water Utility is requesting all customers on the Neil's Harbour Water Supply conserve water until further notice.
Please avoid any unnecessary water usage such as doing extra loads of laundry or dishes, watering lawns, washing cars and filling pools.
Thank you for doing your part to conserve the community's water supply during this period. We appreciate your co-operation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
• Victoria County’s Economic Development Officer Patrick Austin updated the council on the Cape Breton regional Economic Network (CBREN) activities. There have been a number of new business start-ups and proposed new business start-ups in Victoria County – 8 business plans have been prepared recently and nine more are in progress. Also, the billeting program that was launched last year to address a lack of housing for seasonal workers, has been slowed. AirBnB’s have impacted this significantly.
• BOLD Daycamps updated Council on their activities – they are open for new daycare clients – all ages. Cost is $40/day or $125 per week.
• A new Tax & Water Collection policy was passed by council. Read it here.
• A portable washroom will be placed in South Harbour. This is in addition to temporary washrooms presently located at Cape North and Bay St. Lawrence.
• Victoria County is looking for a Recreation & Active Living Coordinator. Deadline for applications is August 16. More information is found here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/government/job-opportunities-and-tenders/
• The annual Bay St. Lawrence Crabfest celebrates its 20th anniversary on July 21 and Buchanan Memorial Hospital will celebrate its 20th anniversary with a barbeque on August 4.
• The minutes from this council session will be on the website once approved by council. The next council session is Monday July 29, 2019 at 5 pm in the Courthouse in Baddeck. Find previous council minutes here.
We are looking for a seasonal Water Utility Operator Assistant for our Water Utility North of Smokey.
Find out all the details here.
The Victoria County Archives department will now be open 4 days a week.
Beginning the week of July 22, 2019 the Archives will be open Tuesday through Friday.