The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the Court House, Baddeck, on Monday, October 21, 2019, at 5:00 p.m.
Call to Order/Approval of Agenda
Cape Smokey Holding Ltd - Martin Kejval and Patrick Austin
Senator Dan Christmas
Approval of Minutes - September 30/19
Old Business/New Business
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Concerns
Notice of Motions/District Concerns
Term Position until approximately February 8th, 2020
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is requesting applications for a Machine Operator at the Baddeck Waste Management Facility.
The successful applicants will be responsible for operating a variety of equipment at our Baddeck Facility. This equipment includes a Backhoe, Tractor and Excavator. In addition, other assigned duties may include the handling, sorting and baling of blue bag materials, compost operations, Enviro- Depot services, general site maintenance of the Transfer Station, waste collection helper, along with other duties as assigned.
Position: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Work Location: Baddeck Transfer Station, Baddeck, NS
Rate of Pay: $ 16.11 /hr
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your background and experience as it related to the position in question.
Inter-Municipal IT Service RFP
An RFP for Inter-Municipal IT Service is posted. See attached link: https://www.antigonishcounty.ns.ca/request-for-proposals-inter-municipal-it-asset-inventory-assessment-action-plan/.
• Three Baddeck doctors spoke to council regarding the urgent situation at the Victoria County Memorial Hospital. A doctor has not been replaced, there has been a marked increase in patient load for the ER and closures are becoming more common. Doctors Genge, Tribo and Garcia asked council to step in and help this situation. They requested the municipality hire a private recruiter, provide accommodations for visiting doctors and reinstate the local community recruitment committee. Warden Morrison stated that although health care is not a municipal responsibility, NSHA inaction has forced council to step up. The municipality is planning two Health Care Round Tables in November.
• Washrooms will be constructed around the county in the coming months. Washrooms will be renovated at the Bay St. Lawrence Community Centre and will open year-round. Two external washrooms will be built at the Wreck Cove General Store and the XTR service station in Cape North and will be open for the tourist season 2020.
• A letter will be sent to Transportation, Infrastructure & renewal regarding frustrations that council brings them the same complaints year after year and few seem to get addressed.
Council minutes are posted on the Victoria County website once they have been approved. Find more council minutes here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/2019-council-minutes.html.
Council meetings are open to the public. Next session is Monday, October 21 at 5 pm at the Baddeck Courthouse, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck.
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is requesting applications for a full-time position of Public Works Attendant - Collection based out of the Baddeck Waste Management Facility.
The successful candidate will be responsible for daily waste collection activities throughout the County. The Public Works Attendant - Collection will also be responsible for the handling and loading waste, recyclables and organics during daily collection activities.
Please email a resume and cover letter outlining your experience by 4:00pm, Thursday, October 17th, 2019 to:
Public Works Supervisor
P.O. Box 370 Baddeck,
NS B0E 1B0
Phone – (902)295-3669
Do you enjoy travelling around Victoria County and beyond? Victoria County Transit needs spare drivers!
Victoria County Transit is hiring spare drivers for Baddeck and Neil’s Harbour. Must have a clean driver’s abstract, criminal and child abuse registry checks. Class 4 license or better is preferred, but will train a suitable candidate.
• Ensure safe operation of the VCT vehicle and that vehicle is safe, clean and presentable for passengers
• Ensure vehicle logs are properly and accurately compiled
• Greet passengers in a friendly, respectful manner
• Collect fares and accurately record them
• Ensure passenger pick up information is properly recorded
• Ensure vehicle is fueled
• Familiar with Victoria County addresses and roads
As this is a pilot project, hours will vary based on the ride demands. Positions will be based in Baddeck and Neil’s Harbour.
Posting will remain open until jobs are filled.
Please forward resumes to:
Strait Area Transit
606 Reeves St.
Port Hawkesbury, N.S. B9A 2R7
Have you seen the Victoria County Transit buses on the road? Yes! Victoria County now has a transit service. But its not like a traditional transit service where you wait at a bus stop and bus goes by at a certain time – no, it is so much better!
Victoria County Transit is a dial-a-ride service. They will pick you at your door and deliver you back there. All you need to do is book the ride 24 hours in advance by calling1-833-625-1475 or
The cost is $5 (one-way) ANYWHERE in Victoria County. Anywhere OUTSIDE the county there is an additional mileage charge (.55 cents per kilometer that is shared among the riders).
• Want to go to a hockey game in Sydney next Friday? Call with at least 24 hours notice and book.
• Want to go to a Celtic Colours event in Port Hawkesbury? Call and book 24 hours in advance.
• Never been to Cabot Landing Provincial Park and want to visit? Call and book 24 hours in advance.
• Have a doctor’s appointment in Antigonish next month and you need a driver? Call Victoria County Transit and book when you get the appointment for pick up at your door.
• Family home for Celtic Colours and you want to take them out to dinner in Ingonish, Iona or Inverness (or all three)? Book Victoria County Transit when you know the dates the cousins will be here and you are set.
The fact is – this service is a pilot project which makes transit available and affordable. Let’s use it!
You can book a ride by:
calling 902-625-1475 or 1-833-625-1475 or
• The audited financial statements were presented to and approved by council at Tuesday’s council session.
They were reviewed in detail prior to the meeting by the Audit Committee. The non-consolidated statements are for the municipality alone; the consolidated statements include the municipality as well as the water utilities, Alderwood, Highland Manor and the Victoria County portion of Eastern District Planning. Read them here (consolidated), here (non-consolidated) and here (water utilitity).
• Eastern District Planning presented regarding an unsightly property in St. Ann’s. After numerous discussions with the landowners, EDPC recommended a 30-day demolition order be issued. Council approved.
• A letter will be written to the provincial department of Transportation, Infrastructure & Renewal (NSTIR) regarding patching required near Washabuck, loose boards on Big Baddeck bridges, additional work and/or signage for the MacLeod Bridge in Middle River and brush-cutting required on Mountainview Road in Dingwall.
• Hurricane Dorian: Ingonish barrier beach was damaged in the recent hurricane. A letter will be sent to the provincial and federal governments to look for funding. A letter will be sent to the CRTC regarding the loss of phone service during power outages.
• Council discussed hosting two Health Care Round Tables this fall to address numerous health care issues affecting Victoria County residents. More information will be available as the planning progresses.
When there is an emergency, you need to be prepared to get by in your home for 72 hours.
Check out our EMO Info sheet for more information on an emergency checklist, how we will communicate in an emergency and the location of Victoria County comfort centres should they be required.
The EMO Information Line is 902-295-0575.