The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the Court House, Baddeck, on Monday, January 20, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
Call to Order/Approval of Agenda
RCMP Update - Cpl. Shaun Coady, RCMP
Approval of Minutes - January 7, 2020
Old Business/New Business
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Items/Concerns
Notice of Motions/District Concerns
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
VICTORIA COUNTY REPRESENTATIVE
CAPE BRETON REGIONAL LIBRARY BOARD
Expression of Interest will be received by the undersigned for one (1) representative to serve as a Victoria County representative on the Cape Breton Regional Library Board.
Interested parties are to submit their application by 4:00 p.m. Friday, January 31, 2020, to:
Looking for information on immigrating to Canada and settling on Cape Breton Island? The Cape Breton Partnership has lots of information to help.
Check out the 'New To Cape Breton' website here: http://newtocapebreton.com/
Find more information on the Cape Breton Partnership's other Immigration Iniatives here: https://capebretonpartnership.com/initiatives/cblip/
• Washrooms renovations have begun at the Bay St. Lawrence Community Centre. Work is expected to be complete in February. A tender was accepted for external washrooms to be constructed at the Wreck Cove General Store in the spring. An expression of interest for Washroom facilities in Cape North remains open until January 23, 2020 (more info on the expression of interest can be found at www.countyvictoria.com.)
• The Health Care Follow up meeting for residents North of Smokey that was cancelled in December is being rescheduled for later this month. When a date is confirmed, it will be posted on the Victoria County website and the Municipality of Victoria County Facebook page.
• A letter of congratulations will be sent to the Ingonish Snowmobile Society. They were able to purchase a groomer with funding from the Mary Barker Trust Fund.
• 10 Victoria County employees received Employee Recognition awards for 5, 10, 20 and 40 years of service.
Council minutes are posted on the Victoria County website once they have been approved. Find more council minutes here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/2019-council-minutes.html.
Council meetings are open to the public. Next session is Monday, January 20, 2020 at 5 pm at the Baddeck Courthouse, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck
Beginning January 1, 2020 the following items are now accepted at Recycle Depots in Victoria County:
Public Works Attendant – Collection
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is requesting applications for the full-time position of Public Works Attendant – Collection based out of the Baddeck Waste Management Facility.
The successful candidate will be responsible for daily waste collection activities throughout the County; the handling and loading of waste, recyclables and organics during daily collection activities.
• Knowledge of waste, recyclable and organic collection and collection procedures;
• Knowledge of waste collection vehicles and equipment safety;
• Knowledge of equipment cleaning standards and procedures;
• High School Diploma or GED and;
• Valid Nova Scotia Class 5 (or better) Driver’s License
Applications accepted until 4 pm Friday January 17, 2020.
Please email a cover letter and resume outlining your experience to:
Kelly Brett, Public Works Supervisor
P.O. Box 370 Baddeck, NS B0E 1B0
Are you involved in a registered non-profit,a school or a First Nations organization that provides recreational programming?
The Municipality of the County of Victoria can help your group to provide healthy food options that follows Canada's Food Guide in these settings.
Funding is 50% cost shared with your organization to a maximum of $1000. This means if you have a $2000 project, your organization contributes $1000 and this funding can provide $1000 more).
Application deadline is February 28, 2020 so get your applications in today!
For more information, contact Lydia Kerr, Recreation & Active Living Coordinator
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is hiring a full-time, permanent Public Works Technician for the Department of Public Works.
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the Public Works Technician is responsible for the supervision and operations of the municipal water supplies. The position also provides assistance with the operational activities our compost and soil remediation facilities.
• Post-secondary certificate or diploma in a technical program.
• Class I Distribution or higher Operator’s certificate issued by the Province of Nova Scotia preferred.
o If not, willingness to complete the training and certification process.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in engineering or public works or equivalent.
• 3+ years of experience in a leadership or supervisor position.
• Experience in water treatment and distribution systems is an asset.
• Valid Nova Scotia Class 5 Driver’s License.
Salary and benefits are as per the Collective Agreement. The rate of pay is $27.00/hour.
Job Description here.
Please send a cover letter and resume detailing your background and experience as it relates to the position. This position will remain open until it is filled.