VICTORIA COUNTY MUNICIPAL COUNCIL
The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the Court House, Baddeck, on Tuesday, December 10, 2019, at 5:00 p.m.
Call to Order/Approval of Agenda
Theatre Baddeck Presentation - Hannah Ziss
Victoria County Transit Presentation - Jessie MacDonald
Approval of Minutes - November 26, 2019
Old Business/New Business
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Items/Concerns
Notice of Motions
Prices are invited from contractors for the above noted project. The proposals will be received until December 17th, 2019 .
The Cape Breton Partnership and the Municipality of the County of Victoria have partnered to launch a survey to collect data on the area’s housing and rental market.
The survey, focusing on both current residents and people who may be interested in moving to Victoria County, asks a number of questions about housing style preferences, necessary senior housing specifications, demographic information, communities to focus on, and more. The Cape Breton Partnership and the Municipality of the County of Victoria believe the results will be valuable for both public and private housing projects.
The survey is available now at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2019-VCHousingSurvey, and will remain open until December 13, 2019. Paper copies are also available at the Victoria County Municipal Offices at 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck, NS.
The Municipality of Victoria County will hold a TAX SALE on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 in the Council Chambers at the Court House, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck, NS at 2 pm.
Click here TAX SALE 2ND AD DEC 10TH TAX SALE UPDATED DEC 5 2019 to dowload the list for more information on properties listed and the Tax Sale process.
List updated December 5, 2019.
• Cassandra Yonder, Victoria County’s new Senior Safety Officer was introduced to council. She will be implementing all the advance work done by Kristi Farrier.
• Martin Kejval, Director of Development for Cape Smokey Holdings presented to council his groups plans for the Ingonish ski hill. In addition to installing a gondola and building a microbrewery, the group plans to construct a Tree Walk, similar to ones they have built in Europe. This will be the first tree walk in North America. Victoria County Economic Development Officer says this project is a ‘game-changer for the Cabot Trail’. Preliminary site work has already begun on the Tree Walk. Plans are to have it opened in 2021.
• Senator Dan Christmas spoke to council about his plans to host a conference to look at ways that Cape Breton can address issues of outmigration. This is the first time a sitting senator has addressed council (that anyone could recall).
• An expression of interest has been issued for Victoria County artists interested in creating a lighted seasonal display for the lawn of the Baddeck Courthouse.
• A letter will be written from council to the provincial Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Renewal regarding road issues in Districts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8.
Council minutes (once approved by council) are posted on the Victoria County website here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/2019-council-minutes.html
Join us at our next Victoria County council meeting on Nov. 4, 2019 at the Baddeck Courthouse 495 Chebucto St. Baddeck.
Please note: Beginning November 1, 2019, our Victoria County Recycle Depots in Baddeck and New Haven will close from 12 noon - 12:30 daily.
Inter-Municipal IT Service RFP
An RFP for Inter-Municipal IT Service is posted. See attached link: https://www.antigonishcounty.ns.ca/request-for-proposals-inter-municipal-it-asset-inventory-assessment-action-plan/.
Do you enjoy travelling around Victoria County and beyond? Victoria County Transit needs spare drivers!
Victoria County Transit is hiring spare drivers for Baddeck and Neil’s Harbour. Must have a clean driver’s abstract, criminal and child abuse registry checks. Class 4 license or better is preferred, but will train a suitable candidate.
• Ensure safe operation of the VCT vehicle and that vehicle is safe, clean and presentable for passengers
• Ensure vehicle logs are properly and accurately compiled
• Greet passengers in a friendly, respectful manner
• Collect fares and accurately record them
• Ensure passenger pick up information is properly recorded
• Ensure vehicle is fueled
• Familiar with Victoria County addresses and roads
As this is a pilot project, hours will vary based on the ride demands. Positions will be based in Baddeck and Neil’s Harbour.
Posting will remain open until jobs are filled.
Please forward resumes to:
Strait Area Transit
606 Reeves St.
Port Hawkesbury, N.S. B9A 2R7
Have you seen the Victoria County Transit buses on the road? Yes! Victoria County now has a transit service. But its not like a traditional transit service where you wait at a bus stop and bus goes by at a certain time – no, it is so much better!
Victoria County Transit is a dial-a-ride service. They will pick you at your door and deliver you back there. All you need to do is book the ride 24 hours in advance by calling1-833-625-1475 or
The cost is $5 (one-way) ANYWHERE in Victoria County. Anywhere OUTSIDE the county there is an additional mileage charge (.55 cents per kilometer that is shared among the riders).
• Want to go to a hockey game in Sydney next Friday? Call with at least 24 hours notice and book.
• Want to go to a Celtic Colours event in Port Hawkesbury? Call and book 24 hours in advance.
• Never been to Cabot Landing Provincial Park and want to visit? Call and book 24 hours in advance.
• Have a doctor’s appointment in Antigonish next month and you need a driver? Call Victoria County Transit and book when you get the appointment for pick up at your door.
• Family home for Celtic Colours and you want to take them out to dinner in Ingonish, Iona or Inverness (or all three)? Book Victoria County Transit when you know the dates the cousins will be here and you are set.
The fact is – this service is a pilot project which makes transit available and affordable. Let’s use it!
You can book a ride by:
calling 902-625-1475 or 1-833-625-1475 or