Due to high demand on the system resulting in water production limitations, the Victoria County Water Utility is requesting all customers on the Neil's Harbour Water Supply conserve water until further notice.
Please avoid any unnecessary water usage such as doing extra loads of laundry or dishes, watering lawns, washing cars and filling pools.
Thank you for doing your part to conserve the community's water supply during this period. We appreciate your co-operation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
• Victoria County’s Economic Development Officer Patrick Austin updated the council on the Cape Breton regional Economic Network (CBREN) activities. There have been a number of new business start-ups and proposed new business start-ups in Victoria County – 8 business plans have been prepared recently and nine more are in progress. Also, the billeting program that was launched last year to address a lack of housing for seasonal workers, has been slowed. AirBnB’s have impacted this significantly.
• BOLD Daycamps updated Council on their activities – they are open for new daycare clients – all ages. Cost is $40/day or $125 per week.
• A new Tax & Water Collection policy was passed by council. Read it here.
• A portable washroom will be placed in South Harbour. This is in addition to temporary washrooms presently located at Cape North and Bay St. Lawrence.
• Victoria County is looking for a Recreation & Active Living Coordinator. Deadline for applications is August 16. More information is found here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/government/job-opportunities-and-tenders/
• The annual Bay St. Lawrence Crabfest celebrates its 20th anniversary on July 21 and Buchanan Memorial Hospital will celebrate its 20th anniversary with a barbeque on August 4.
• The minutes from this council session will be on the website once approved by council. The next council session is Monday July 29, 2019 at 5 pm in the Courthouse in Baddeck. Find previous council minutes here.
We are looking for a seasonal Water Utility Operator Assistant for our Water Utility North of Smokey.
Find out all the details here.
Victoria County is offering an exciting job opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual as Recreation and Active Living Coordinator.
We are looking for someone that is experienced, motivated, and prides themselves on delivering excellent customer service to the communities, residents and visitors throughout our area.
This role is primarily for liaising with sport and recreation clubs and community groups regarding the development of sport and recreation programs, as well as increasing participation in active recreation to offer the best opportunity to improve Victoria County's health and well-being.
To succeed in this role you must demonstrate:
Teamwork - cooperate with internal and external stakeholders to build and maintain positive working relationships;
Self-Management - plan and prioritize work to ensure outcomes are achieved in a timely manner;
Written Communication - prepare briefs, letters, emails, and reports using clear, concise and grammatically correct language;
Education and Experience - Undergraduate University Degree in Health Promotion, Community Studies, or Recreation, as well as a minimum of three (3) years' experience in a related field.
Applications will be received by the undersigned until August 16, 2019.
Leanne MacEachen, Chief Administrative Officer, PO Box 370, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck, NS B0E 1B0
The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the Court House, Baddeck, on Monday, July 29, 2019, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
The Victoria County Archives department will now be open 4 days a week.
Beginning the week of July 22, 2019 the Archives will be open Tuesday through Friday.
Cape Breton Island has been ranked #1 Island to visit in Canada for the 2nd year in a row by Travel & Leisure Magazine.
See this link for a video Destination Cape Breton has prepared for the announcement!
June 25, 2019 Victoria County Municipal Council Highlights
Council minutes for the June 25, 2019 council session will appear on our web site once approved by council. The next council session is Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 5 pm in the Courthouse in Baddeck. Find previous council minutes here.
- Victoria County’s new Tourism & Development Officer Dan Coffin was introduced to Council. Dan is looking forward to working with the council and promoting our beautiful county.
- Council passed the 2019-2020 budget. Property tax rates will remain the same $1.22 per $100 of assessment for residential and $2.12 per $100 of assessment for commercial. See a budget summary here.
- Council proclaimed we are in a Climate Change Emergency. The motion states in part: We are in a state of emergency that requires urgent action by all levels of government including local councils; that human induced climate change stands in the first rank of threats to humans, civilization and other species; and it is still possible to restore a safe climate and prevent most of the anticipated long-term climate impacts – but only if societies across the world adopt an emergency mode of action that can enable the restructuring of the physical economy at the necessary scale and speed.
The Municipality recently passed a Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program bylaw, which helps residents to access low interest financing to complete a water supply upgrade for their property.
The Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program operates on a first come, first served basis until the Program budget for the fiscal year has been allocated. Should there be funding available for your proposed Water Supply Upgrade, you will be required to sign a Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program - Financing Agreement that outlines your roles and responsibilities as Qualifying Property Owner, as well as those of the Municipality.
For more information: