Tourism Priorities for 2012-2013
Research & Communications
- Monitor and Track monthly tourism statistics on Nova Scotia, Cape Breton & Victoria County. In particular - occupancy rate, room nights sold, guest nights, key tourism indicators etc.
- To provide a monthly tourism newsletter to tourism operators with latest news of the industry
- To provide an annual report on the Tourism Statistics for Victoria County
- To maintain and update regularly the Victoria County Tourism Resource Centre website on the latest news regionally, nationally, international as well tourism technology news and tourism calendar of events. A newly designed site is expected to be launched by end of October.
- To post articles of interest for tourism industry on TourismVC Blog utilizing new media from time to time
- To update regularly the events calendar and promote events using social media
- To provide economic impact of tourism in Victoria County report when stats become available from NS Tourism. Numbers are expected in late 2012. A new model has been created thus the delay. In 2008, Victoria County had tourism revenues of $53.1 million, 1300 direct & indirect jobs in tourism and a payroll of $20.8 million.
Marketing and Partnerships
- To partner with Celtic Heart of North America in promoting & marketing Celtic culture. Monitor & Track results
- To partner with Celtic Colours International Festival in promoting and marketing Celtic Colours events in Victoria County and Cape Breton Island. Monitor and track results
- To assist BABTA and Northern Cape Breton Development Society ( Top of the Island) with Doers and Dreamers Guide
- To re-design Visit Victoria County and add new features – experiences, trip itineraries, interactive maps, and add social media. Measure and track results
- To partner with Destination Cape Breton Association and the new Nova Scotia Long Term Strategy for Tourism
- To monitor and track results of the Marketing Levy
- To providing 50/50 cost sharing funding assistance to community tourism groups for brochures/maps, Online Marketing and websites
Product Development – Tourism Destination areas
- To partner with Ingonish Tourism Steering Committee, a sub committee of Ingonish Development Society with social media & website development
- To partner with BABTA on STEP program, signage, website and social media.
- To partner with Northern Cape Breton Development Society with On-line Marketing, website and social media.
- To partner with CTWA on website & brochure/map and assist with Roger Brooks Re -Assessment of Cabot Trail
- To partner with DCBA on Product Development Projects
- To provide a capital project funding assistance program to assist local tourism groups with capital projects and leverage funding from other partners
- To attend Nova Scotia Product Development Day
Training and Conference
- To host the an annual Victoria County Tourism conference focusing on experiences, cultural tourism, online marketing including social media
- To host workshops
- To produce and offer webinars to help prepare the tourism industry for upcoming season