The Municipality of the County of Victoria is requesting applications for the summer term position of Environmental Technician.
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the successful applicant will be responsible for all duties as outlined in the position description.
Overview of Position:
Term: Full-time; Temporary Summer
Hours: Monday to Friday (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Work Location: Baddeck Waste Management Facility
- Assist in monitoring windrow composting operations; including temperature profiles and ensuring piles are formed properly and the process is working optimally.
- Conduct sampling of remediated soil for analysis.
- Review data received at waste management facilities and integrate that information in Excel.
- Assist in compiling data for annual reports.
- Assist in promotion of our waste diversion programs.
- Assist in waste audits at transfer stations.
- Review engineering drawings for water system services and create lateral location plans for each.
- Review of water services by comparing accounts to services on engineering drawings.
- Assist water utility staff with various tasks, such as sampling, maintenance, and repair activities.
- Assist with facilities property maintenance.
Skills & Abilities
- Able to work efficiently with minimal supervision and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Able to problem solve and maintain efficiency while working independently.
- Able to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to communicate effectively and courteously with both public and co-workers.
- Able to lift items weighing up to 25 kg and carry out tasks in accordance with the Municipality’s Health & Safety program
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions. Fair understanding of basic construction/maintenance methods, materials and equipment.
- Enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a post-secondary institute.
- NS driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract
- Exposure to noise, varying weather conditions, dusts, fumes, mechanical/electrical hazards, and waste products.
- Extended periods of standing, walking or sitting; regularly lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move items weighing up to 25 kg;
- Seeing, speaking, and hearing necessary to follow oral and written instructions.
- Climbing, bending, crouching, kneeling, reaching above shoulder level using hand(s) for simple or firm grasping.
- Focus and concentration required when operating machinery and/or equipment; regularly read and interpret data, information, and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; assigned tasks are to be completed in a timely manner.
Please email a resume and covering letter outlining your experience to: email@example.com