You may notice a slight change at our Baddeck site. The Jim Bradley Recycling Depot was officially unveiled by Mr. Jimmy Bradley himself this morning. He has collected more than 877,100 plastic refundable bottles and raised more than $43,000 for charities. Jimmy Bradley is a rock star recycler and an all-round good person. Congratulations Jimmy! And thank you for all that you do!
Jim Bradley Recycling Depot News Release
The Municipality of the County of Victoria is revamping its pre-authorized payment (PAP) options! We are offering our residents the ability to have their tax and/or water bill payments made by pre-authorized bank debit.
The PAP plan offers you the convenience of having no cheques to write, no worries about overdue payments, and no physical contact at your bank or municipal office. Enrolment in the plan is free and there are no service charges. Contest closes September 1, 2020. Draw date September 4, 2020.
The municipality is offering a one-time property tax installment program for owners of residential and commercial properties negatively affected by the COVID-19 global pandemic.
You qualify if you are the owner of:
• a residential property that is your primary residence and you have experienced a significant reduction in income due to the State of Emergency;
• a residential property where you are a registered Tourism Operator with Tourism Nova Scotia for the 2019 tourist season (excludes AirBNBs and other accommodations marketing platforms);
• a residential property that is rented to one or more tenants, and you have experienced a significant reduction in rental income from the property due to the State of Emergency;
• taxable commercial properties (shopping, office, industrial, farm) who have experienced financial hardship through loss of revenue related to the State of Emergency
For more information on how the program works and how to apply: Victoria County Tax Installment Program
Deadline to submit an application to this program is September 30, 2020.
Victoria County Council approved the following grants to organizations: Community Grants 2020-2021
Municipal offices in the Baddeck Courthouse will reopen to the public beginning June 15, 2020; COVID-19 protocols will be in place.
Please call 902-295-3231 and make an appointment if you wish to meet with one of our staff. No appointment is necessary for those making payments at the Tax Office.
Please follow our social distancing protocols.
Thank you for your patience.
Victoria County has two areas that have been approved for an upgrade to current DSL standards. Bell was awarded the contract to provide Fibre to homes in Dingwall and Boularderie.
• Dingwall & Area is expected to be completed by April 21, 2021 or earlier
• Boularderie & Area is expected to be completed by June 21, 2021 or earlier
Wondering if your house is included in Phase 1? Check out the maps.
• Councillors have helped a number of community groups to conduct community clean ups and more are happening in the days to come.
• Members of the provincial Department of Lands & Forestry spoke with council regarding provincial parks in Victoria County, burn safety, wildlife and other issues. They provided council with an update on planned work at Uisge Bhan Falls and Cabot Landing Provincial Park.
• Washroom update: Two municipally funded washrooms are near completion. A washroom will be located at the Gaelic College in St. Ann’s and one located in the Bay St. Lawrence Community Centre. The washroom in Baddeck at the Visitor Information Centre will be open this summer and one is expected to be constructed along the North Shore. An Expression of Interest has been issued for this washroom. For more information see our post at www.victoriacounty.com .• The municipality will raise the Pride flag during a short ceremony on Thursday June 4, 2020 at 1 pm on the Courthouse lawn. All are welcome. This event will be using socially distancing protocols and will be livestreamed on the Municipality of Victoria County Facebook page.
Council minutes are posted on the Victoria County website, the day following the meeting (during the COVID-19 pandemic). Find more council minutes here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/2020-council-minutes.html
The next session is Monday, June 15, 2020 beginning at 5 pm. The session take place via teleconferencing and will be live-streamed on the Municipality of Victoria County NS Facebook page.
As businesses prepare to reopen, here are some guidelines for best practises provided by the NS government:Safe Practise Guidelines for Work Places.
Effective June 5, most businesses required to close under the public health order can reopen. Businesses must follow protocols in the plan that is tailored to their sector. This includes following public health protocols to ensure physical distancing, increased cleaning and other protective measures for staff and customers.
The following can open if they are ready and choose to do so:
Other health providers can also reopen on June 5, provided they follow protocols in their colleges’ and associations’ plans, as approved by public health. These include:
Nova Scotians are encouraged to continue to: