The Village Commission is responsible for the water and sewer services for the residents of the village of Baddeck. The Commission also oversees sidewalk clearing in the winter, beautification in the summer, Baddeck wharf and Kidston Island operations. Scroll down to see commission minutes, meeting notices and other information, including who we are and how to contact us.
The Village of Baddeck is inviting applications for the position of a full-time Clerk-Treasurer.
This executive position reports to a commission of five members, with governance from the Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act (MGA), you will be responsible for the day-to-day management as directed by the policies, programs, contractual obligations, plans and objectives of the Village. This includes providing leadership for the accounting and financial management, administrative support to the Commission, human resource management, asset management and communications.
Qualifications, Skills & Knowledge:
• Undergraduate degree or an equivalent amount of education and experience
• Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and payroll administration; diploma in accounting from a recognized institution considered an asset
• Strong knowledge of local government governance models, legislation and the Municipal Government Act, certificate in Local Government Administration considered an asset
• Experience developing public sector policies, procedures and guidelines
• Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and accounting software
• Excellent writing, grammar and composition skills
• Experience conducting research
• Experience dealing with the public
• A valid NS drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle
Deadline for applications: Friday, April 26, 2019
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST Community Wharf
A meeting will be held to open the Wharf Proposals. More info will be posted when a date is decided.
The Village of Baddeck is accepting proposals from businesses, qualified groups or individuals to oversee boating activities on the Baddeck Community Wharf for the 2019 season.
Responsibilities include collection of dockage fees, greeting and assisting boaters, and overseeing boating activities on the wharf. Coverage is necessary seven days a week, from 8:00 am until near dusk, from late June until the end of September.
• Dockage fees include transient tie-ups only, excluding cruise ships
• Dockage fees for 2019 are expected to total between $10,000 and $15,000
• Collections are to be reported weekly, on Tuesday, for the previous week
• All staff will be required to hold a VHF Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime) and be familiar with the operation of a point of sale machine
• Preference will be given to those with MFSO certification
Submissions must include:
• A detailed on-site supervision plan.
• Details on the revenue sharing arrangement with the Village of Baddeck.
All proposals must be received at the office of the Village of Baddeck by 4:00 pm on April 10, 2019.
Submit proposals to:
Village of Baddeck
495 Chebucto St.
P.O. Box 63
Baddeck NS B0E 1B0
Tel: (902) 295-3666 Fax: (902) 295-1729
Our latest edition of The Village News newsletter is in mailboxes! Or you can read it here: The Village News Winter Edition January 2019
The next monthly meeting of the Village Commission will be held Wednesday May 8, 2019 at 7 pm at the Public Works Building, 29 Hillcrest Drive, Baddeck, N.S.
Here is the first edition of The Village News - our quarterly newsletter. Our goal is to keep you up-to-date on Village Commission happenings and events.
Free Lead Testing - Still a few spots open!
Do you reside in an older home within the Village limits? Did you know that some older homes may still have a lead service line or older plumbing which can contain lead in connections in the piping? In the last thirty years we have learned that lead can have an adverse effect on a person’s health. The Village water is tested annually for lead, with no lead showing up in any of the distribution piping or naturally occurring in the well water.
Overnight tie-ups = $1.25/ft
Hourly tie-up rate = $2/hr
At a May 23, 2018 Special Meeting of the Village of Baddeck, the area rate requirements for the Village of Baddeck were discussed and the rate was set. The 2018-19 residential area rate will be $0.21/$100 of assessment, while the commercial area rate will be $0.25/$100 of assessment. The fire protection rate is $0.075/$100 of assessment. These rates are competitive, compared to other Villages across the province.
The Village area rate covers the following costs:
Wages & Benefits $62,700.00
Public Relations/Advertising/Program Contributions $13,790.00
Total Expenditures $176,822.03
Total to be collected on area rates $176,822.03
The Village Commission is responsible for the water and sewer services for the residents of the village of Baddeck. The Commission also oversees sidewalk clearing in the winter, beautification in the summer, Baddeck wharf and Kidston Island operations.
The Baddeck Village Commission:
The Village of Baddeck Office is located on the main floor of the Baddeck Courthouse, 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck.
Trudy Gillis, Public Works Supervisor
Ph: 902-294-0705 (cell)
Scott MacLeod, Public Works Operator - Cell: 902-295-7522
Joe Baker, Public Works Operator - Cell: 902-295-0123